Improving Special Education Services (ISES)
November 16, 2010
Purpose of Workgroup Discussions:
- Educating stakeholders to the new Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), United States Department of Education (ED) requirements
- Increasing knowledge of trends in data related to the indicator
- Discussing improvement strategies
- Grades 2 – 11 Assessment (Indicator 3)
Participation and performance of children with individualized education programs (IEPs) on statewide assessments:
A. Percent of the districts with a disability subgroup that meets the State’s minimum “n” size that meet the State’s Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) targets for the disability subgroup.
B. Participation rate for children with IEPs.
C. Proficiency rate for children with IEPs against grade level, modified, and alternate academic achievement standards.
- Preschool Assessment (Indicator 7)
Percent of preschool children with IEPs who demonstrate improved:
A. Positive social-emotional skills (including social relationships);
B. Acquisition and use of knowledge and skills (including early language/communication and early literacy); and
C. Use of appropriate behaviors to meet their needs.
2. Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
- Grades K- 12 LRE (Indicator 5)
Percent of children with IEPs aged 6 through 21 served:
- Inside the regular class 80% or more of the day;
- Inside the regular class less than 40% of the day; and
- In separate schools, residential facilities, or homebound/hospital placements.
- Preschool LRE (Indicator 6)
Percent of preschool children with IEPs who received special education and related services in settings with typically developing peers (i.e., early childhood settings, home, and part-time early childhood/part-time early childhood special education settings)
3. Due Process
- Due Process (Indicator 17)
Percent of adjudicated due process hearing requests that were adjudicated within the 45-day timeline or a timeline that is properly extended by the hearing officer at the request of either party or in the case of an expedited hearing, within the required timelines.
- Hearing Requests that went to Resolution (Indicator 18)
Percent of hearing requests that went to resolution sessions that were resolved through resolution session settlement agreements.
- Mediations (Indicator 19)
Percent of mediations held that resulted in mediation agreements.