Improving Special Education Services (ISES)
Stakeholders Meeting Work Group Recommendations June 9, 2011
Improving Special Education Services
Work Group Recommendations June 9, 2011
Work Group: Transition
Indicators # 12, 13 & 14
- Developmentally appropriate practices, research & evidence-based practices.
- Self-advocacy/person-centered emphasis.
- Institutes of Higher Education (IHE) and teacher tools.
Work Group: Disproportionate Representation
Indicators # 4, 9 & 10
- Reform in general education - Intervention needed in General Education; e.g., Response to Instruction and Intervention (RtI2)
- Assessment – process needs to include language acquisition specialist.
- Distribute report from Larry P. and provide training on recommendations.
- Technical assistance to Local Education Agencies (LEAs) on English Language Learners (ELL) findings from self-reviews.
- Implement RtI2 and Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) statewide and provide continuous professional development at all levels with fidelity – use statewide summit to engage discussion at all levels and share promising practices/models with follow-up and updates. General Education should lead.
- Indicator 4 only -Adopt a State comprehensive and detailed database system for gathering expulsion/suspension data and analyze data.
Work Group: State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG)
Indicator #: Impacts all State Performance Plan indicators
- California Department of Education (CDE) consider developing a best practice guide related to Human Resources, appropriate teacher assignments, and the implementation of RtI2 (May need to include this topic in the December 2010, Effective Reading Intervention Academy (ERIA) Program Guide, http://www.calstat.org/effectivereading.html).
- Math instruction may need to be considered within the ERIA structure if the data supports this for the new grant.