Improving Special Education Services (ISES)
June 10, 2010
Indicator # 4, 9, and 10
- Define “Suspension” and “Voluntary Exit” from School Day. Monitor and collect discipline and compliance data associated with above.
- Address fidelity, consistency, eligibility and ID Special Ed Services with RtI2 with regard to disproportionality (e.g. TA Facilitators)
- Emphasize Fidelity of Implementation of research-based practices, in general education for closing the achievement gap
- Request info from WRRC on prevalence of disability by ethnic group
- Promote effective partnerships between LEAs and IHEs around the issue of disproportionality. Promote effective models
- Promote effective LEA disproportionality models
- CDE analyze self assessment data for patterns
Workgroup: Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
Indicator # 5
Data and Measurement:
- a. Clearly and consistently define terminology and process within
data collection/measurement (“inside regular class,”
“increase/decrease,” “separate school”, etc.)
b. Training for consistent, clear terminology and process should be created and implemented (e.g: modules; PPT, etc.-perhaps on LRE online tool)
- Our current practices should represent current data; data collection from IEP should represent discrete elements
- Improve and enhance the narrative to clarify the meaning of “target,” “compliance,” “met,” and “unmet” (regarding performance indicator)
- Directly connect “district LRE tool” terminology with measurement and data terminology (Indicator 5)
Workgroup: Parent Involvement
- Partnering with Parents survey be linked from CDE Web site to SEEDS Web site for families to complete parent survey. Article in The Special EDg
- Distribute Partnering with Parents survey by partnering with CAC, SEPAC, Charter Schools, Area Boards, DDS
- Explore creating “Top 5 Questions” out of Part C Partnering with Parents survey (50 questions in full survey) (in Past B there are top 25 of 100 questions)
Indicator # 13 and 14
- Develop consistency among teachers, statewide in writing measureable postsecondary goals.
- Promote student-led IEPs and early involvement of students in the IEP process. Promote self-determination.
- Promote more consistent involvement of local agencies in the transition planning process.
- CDE provides guidance and direction around these recommendations.
Workgroup: Early Childhood
Indicator # 6, 7 and 12
Indicator 7: Preschool Assessment
- Develop, prepare and present parent training and information in coordination with the PTI, FRC and FEC parent organizations, DR access Project, and CDE/SED.
- Provide to the field materials explaining the relationship between the Preschool Learning Foundations and the Desired Results Developmental Profile access instrument related to child progress.
- Coordinate with the CDE Child Development Division to develop common policy and messages regarding the DRDP assessment system.
Indicator 12: Transition Part C to Part B
- Liaison with the Department of Developmental Services to develop common policy and messaging regarding transition
- Provide information to parents and practitioners on transition requirements and practices.
- Meet with organizations to update and inform stakeholders on transition requirements, practices, policies and updates of initiatives (e.g. SELPA, SEACO, PTI, FRC, FEC, ICC).