Improving Special Education Services (ISES)
Stakeholders Meeting | Workgroup Recommendations
December 2, 2009
Indicator #s 4, 9, and 10
- Support from state funds for administrator training and assistance around
content areas including guidance documents to the field on disproportionality,
positive behavior supports, and Response to Instruction and Intervention
(RtI2). (Indicator 4)
Local level, systematic successful strategies linked to data sources. Data by three types of districts (i.e. elementary, high school, unified).
- Collaborate between general education and special education on mutual projects infusing priority topics in general education initiatives.
- Continue holding strategic conversation by the California Department of Education with other agencies and partners utilizing resources toward a common goal.
- Add the following content to the Annual Performance Report (APR):
- Add description of the collaboration with general education (Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS), California School Climate Survey (CSCS)) for application of data to local school site practice using CSCS/Closing the Achievement Gap workbook and culturally responsive trainings (pre-service, professional development, administrative). (Indicators 9, 10)
- Add Disproportionality Web page to the improvement strategies listed in the Annual Performance Report. Expand Web site to include criteria for innovative practices, identify and list practices that meet criteria in school districts, include mental health materials. (Indicators 4, 9, 10)
- Add text to improvement strategies in the APR specifically describing the guidance document on IDEA eligibility and English Language (EL) assessment process and interpretation. (Indicators 9, 10)
- Promote the IRIS modules, http://iris.peabody.vanderbilt.edu/resources.html , plus other related resources yet to be identified.
Restrictive Environment (LRE)
Indicator # 5
- Recommended that WestEd/COE continue the development of the Virtual LRE Community and identify resources/trainings.
- Expand the “pilot community” which has begun in the virtual community to include additional stakeholders and present “demo” at June 10 ISES meeting.
- Revise Web page to determine ways to meet individual 5A, B, C benchmarks in the SPP.
Workgroup: Parent Involvement
Results of Discussion
- Complete NCSEAM Survey
- Survey Pilot completed
- Shaped out “child care” question
- Discussed short form survey
- February 1 – Survey will be ready for online and paper form for use in multiple languages
- PTI and FES will commit to gathering 100 surveys between February and June 2010
- SELPA will be invited to also participate - there are several SELPA volunteers
Indicator #s 13 and 14
For Indicators 13 & 14:
- Add fields to Table D to collect the 8 elements in #13, collect the 4 elements in #14
- Identify accurate code descriptions
- Training big picture:
- Educational Benefit Calculation
- Self Advocacy/Person Certede
- Data Collaboration and Coding
For Indicator 14:
- á increasing outcomes being reported á increase outcomes