CORE MESSAGE AREAS
A focus of the State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG), a federally funded grant, is to communicate common messages to the field about selected topics. These common, or core messages, articulate critical research findings and essential components of effective application. All core messages have been identified by experts in the field and have been approved by the California Department of Education, Special Education Division.
Six Core Message Areas have recently been updated with the latest research, methodologies, and resources currently available. The CDE is working on federal and state initiatives related to those six Core Message Areas. Your input is needed.
Soon, all ISES members will receive a short survey on the updated Core Message Areas via e-mail. Your prompt response is important to the process of getting the best research findings and resources to the field, and your shared expertise is greatly appreciated.
The six core message areas, which have undergone revision, are:
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Transition: School to Adult Life
- School-Family-Community Partnerships
- Least Restrictive Environment
Three additional Core Message Areas have updated online resources:
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Core Components to Response to Instruction and Intervention (RtI2)
- Closing the Achievement Gap to Students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
You may review all of the Core Messages on the CalSTAT Web site at: http://calstat.org/cores.html