Improving Special Education Services (ISES) December 9, 2011 Discussion Group Descriptions
Purpose of the Discussion Groups
- Begin implementing a revised improvement planning process for special education.
- Increase knowledge of trends in data related to the State Performance Plan (SPP) indicator.
- Discuss improvement strategies.
- Review and analyze data to identify needs and priorities.
Questions to Consider During the Discussion
- What additional data and hypotheses are needed?
- Based on trend data review, what needs and priorities that surface?
- What kind of improvement activities are suggested to you?
- Compliance Issues
Chris Drouin, Associate Director, Special Education Division
Monitoring findings are often associated with both compliance and performance indicators in the SPP. This group will discuss the overall compliance findings in monitoring and complaints to identify the needs and priorities.
- Performance Data – State Performance Plan (SPP) Indicators
Patricia Skelton, Administrator, Assessment, Evaluation and Support Unit
The Annual Performance Report describes the State's progress or slippage in meeting the measurable and rigorous targets established in the SPP and any revisions to the State's targets. This group will discuss California's success with and needs for meeting the targets that were established. Discussion will focus on needs and priorities based on the patterns the data trends reveal.
- Consumer Feedback
Alison Greenwood, Administrator, Focused Monitoring and Technical Assistant Unit IV
The SPP has only one indicator focusing on family involvement. Families are asked to provide input to local education agencies (LEAs) as part of their reviews. Families have been asked by Parent Training and Information Centers (PTIs) to identify their needs and concerns. Families frequently contact the Procedural Safeguards Referral Service (PSRS) to get further information, express concern, and initiate complaints. This group will focus on analyzing input from families to identify needs and priorities for improvement.